20 Things I wish I knew before becoming a Mom.
1. The word “love” will take on a whole new meaning.
2. Your relationship with your spouse will change – but time will bring you back to each other.
3. Sleep will become a luxury, not a right
4. You will wonder why you ever had children – and also wonder how you could ever live without them.
5. It is okay not to have all the answers.
6. You will hear your own mother’s voice come out of your mouth.
7. Time goes by much faster when you are a parent
8. Having children – gives you permission to let lose, have fun, be silly and embrace life through new eyes.
9. At times you will feel very alone – and yet you will never have enough alone time.
10. Patience and humour will get you through many difficult situations.
11. You will worry…you will worry a lot.
12. Be creative – children get bored easily. Try new things and explore every possibility.
13. Having children will dig up all kinds of doubts and insecurities that you never knew you had.
14. Perfection and parenting do not mix.
15. Your children do not belong to you. You are there to love and guide them as best you can - the rest is up to them.
16. The stakes will seem very high and you will wonder if your choices will somehow damage your children. If you give your them love, respect, empathy, freedom and consistency…they will be just fine.
17. Parenting is not something that you can just try out. It is a life-long commitment – there is no return policy.
18. Having children will shine a light on your own mortality.
19. You will need help raising your children – there is a reason why they say “it takes a village”.
20. Be gentle with yourself. You will be a great mom and your children will be lucky to have you. After all the sleepless nights, diaper changes and personal struggles – you will know that you are doing something amazing.
©Professor Mom (M. Wright), 2013.